Do you also have to deal with stress in the office? To further fuel the daily restlessness, an average balance is like a balm for the soul. Yoga can catalyze hectic and stressful situations – even in everyday office life! Tasks and obligations become more comfortable again, and a new sense of purpose is created in doing them. We have put together five yoga exercises for you, which also work wonderfully in the office!
Counteract stress effectively with Yoga
Work is stressful for you, and you always ask yourself why you have to do this and that now and when you can go home again? Yoga opens up a slightly different perspective on things: we are exactly where we are supposed to be. What we do has a specific meaning, and that is good.
Just sitting a lot weakens our back and spine, leads to tension, and makes us lazy – Yoga strengthens your back and makes you more flexible, wakes up the brain cells, and also stimulates the production of happiness hormones. All you need now is to reduce stress, a few minutes, and a motivated smile.
Five yoga exercises that also work in the office
Even if you are not far away from your desk during work – with these five yoga exercises, you will find more relaxation but also work energy:
Exercise 1: Stimulate Circulation
Before you start, ideally prepare yourself with a little exercise. This stimulates the circulation, refreshes you internally, and brings you joy for a start:
- Drink a glass of water.
- Then rub your hands vigorously together.
- Start with the insides and then rub the back of one hand against the back of the other.
- Do this for about 3 minutes.
- Now clap your hands, tap the edges of your hands, and shake them out.
Now you can start with the actual exercises!
Exercise 2: The Office Panther
With this yoga exercise, you do something good for your back, and especially your spinal discs:
- Support your hands on your thighs with your elbows pointing outwards.
- Now bend forward with your back straight. Press your shoulders back and your shoulder blades together.
- Place your chest on your thighs and let your head hang loosely.
- Breathe in and slowly lift your head.
- Breathe out and straighten up again – with a rounded back. Pull the abdominal wall firmly in.
- Sit upright and breathe in deeply.
- Exhale and bend forward again.
You can repeat this exercise several times. It has a charming effect on a stiff back. Do it like the panther.
Exercise 3: The Side Bend
This exercise is relatively easy to perform – it is especially beneficial for the kidneys:
- Support your hands on your thighs again.
- Breathe in and stretch your right arm firmly upwards.
- Hold your breath and bend to the left.
- Exhale and bring your arm back; you can support your hand again.
- Now repeat the same with your left arm and bend to the right.
- An 8-times change is optimal.
This will also intensify the effect of the so-called “star picking”! This exercise thus activates the liver, stomach, spleen, and pancreas. The breathing volume is increased. Get a lot of positive energy and pass it on.
Exercise 4: Uttkatasana
Now it’s getting more intense – this exercise strengthens your muscles after sitting for a long time:
- Slide very close to the edge of the chair.
- Place your feet hip-wide and press them firmly into the floor.
- Breathe in and straighten your spine.
- As you exhale, pull your stomach inwards very gently.
- Breathe in and stretch your arms upwards.
- Now try to stand up very slowly, only with the exhalation.
- Three centimetres above the floor, try to hold the position slowly.
- Keep the following in mind: Do not stretch your legs; your knees should not come over your toes – push your knees back far enough so that you can see approximately your big toes.
- Breathe in and push up the sternum.
- Exhale and push the abdominal wall inwards. This way, your lower back stays nice and long.
- Now lower your arms during exhalation and stretch them again during inhalation.
- Then very slowly release with the exhalation and sit down again.
- Do this for 5-6 breaths, a short pause, and again if you feel like it.
Good luck – you will feel how the new energy awakens your spirits!
Exercise 5: Moon breathing
If you are looking for relaxation and peace, try this yoga exercise:
- Sit up straight.
- Place your right hand’s thumb on the right nostril, the ring finger on the left nostril.
- Bend your index and middle finger and stretch your little finger.
- Your left-hand rests on the left thigh.
- Breathe in and out through both nostrils.
- Now close the left nostril with your ring finger and breathe out through the right nostril.
- Now close the right nostril with your thumb and breathe in through the left nostril.
- In your mind, you are absorbing the moon’s energy in your inhalation.
- Stay in this rhythm – exhale on the right and inhale on the left.
- The exercise takes 3-5 minutes. Afterwards, take a short time to feel the effect.
Through the moon breathing, our attention is directed inwards. The energy gained gives you deep calm. Perfect for a stressful working day.
Stress does not necessarily have to dominate your everyday life. Take a few minutes every day in the office to recharge your batteries with yoga. A few simple exercises do body, mind, and soul an incredible amount of good. Have fun trying them out!